St Aidan’s was opened in January 1907. At that time the school consisted of an old shed and was run by the Sisters of St Joseph, who used to travel from St Mary’s on foot until a horse and sulky were purchased.
The school was then taken over by the Franciscan Monks of Mary in 1969. The first lay Principal was appointed in 1990.
The name St Aidan was chosen by a group of men and women who were associated with its beginning. They were mostly of Irish descent, so they chose an Irish Saint – St Aidan of Lindisfarne.
Since then St Aidan’s has grown into a two-stream school with an enrolment of just over 400. Eighteen languages other than English are spoken by our students.
Our crest and motto express who we are and state our highest ideals and aspirations. We believe that they communicate simply and clearly, yet deeply; our identity, beliefs and hopes for the future of our school.
The parish/school community built a hall named ‘The Mary MacKillop Parish and School Hall’ in 2006. In 2009 the school underwent extensive building, renovation and refurbishment of the classrooms, using the funding from the Australian Government's National School Pride (NSP) project.
In 2010 the school utilised the funding from the Australian Government's Building the Education Revolution (BER) to construct a new tuckshop and Year Four learning space, and refurbish the library and Stage Three learning space.
All classrooms are of an open plan design, which is conducive to collaborative learning. The classrooms are equipped with the latest technology in order to develop contemporary learning.
As a result of these building programs, the facilities at St Aidan's are second to none. St Aidan's is one of the best resourced school in the local area, thus providing students with learning experiences that are relevant, engaging, vigorous, and enabling.